Saturday, January 15, 2005

(*) 9.5 out of 10 kinda day


Today was a 9.5 out of 10 kinda day! Whoo hoo!!!!!
The boys and I had a blast swimming and hanging-out at the local swimming pool this arvo. We delicately 'pigged-out' on Milo chocolate ice creams for a break - mmmmMMM! It was 36c (97f) the whole time we were there, but towards 5pm (when it was time to leave), a big thunderstorm built up quickly from out of the west. Normally - no problemo. But when we were all splashing about in the deep end of the main Olympic Pool, there were two almighty CRACKS of rolling thunder - and poor Seb was not impressed! He practically jumped out of the pool and burst into tears, poor bloke. It was pretty darn loud all the same... I guess he'd never been out in the open to hear thunder explode above him before! The sky and clouds did look pretty amazing as it all built up above us for about an hour.

Ix (he's 6) is swimming like a champion - and I'm not boasting either! He's swimming 'properly' and not just splashing about. He's got more guts than a lot of kids his age - jumping and attempting near-perfect bombs right off the deep end! I'd have never have tried something like that at 6!!! Seb's a good swimmer too, and JD swims with lots of strength and confidence as well. Last year the younger two had like life-jacket-type vests on when they were in the deep end... not this year!

I felt so much more happier and relaxed with the boys today. It wasn't an effort at all. Not that it should be... what I mean is that somedays I find my 'black dog' of depression kind-of prevents me from enjoying being with them as much as we all should. But - not today - no way! A near perfect day - barring huge claps of thunder, of course.

One of the attendants at the pool kiosk was one of the girls I used to help teaching with at one of the local Primary schools over 3 years' ago. She looks all grown up now - she was in 6th class back them, and now she's all - filled-in! lol. It was nice to say hello again.

Luckily it's cooled down this evening to a pleasant 19c (66f) - a change of 17 degrees in just a few hours! Whew - a nice cooler change brought some soft rain and cooler air - whew! Not another tossing-and-turning hot still airless night. Actually, this summer has been very mild - nothing to complain about at all. We'll probably have a freezing winter, but I prefer the cold to the heat, given the choice. But living here is probably the best of both worlds, in reality.

Here's a few ruff copied photos for you to have a squizz at (click on the pic to open it to a larger one)... the first one is of my 2nd cousin, S, who's 10. She's the splitting image of my cousin (the girl, that is, not the dog! lol), who I literally haven't seen in about 20 years. She's a real cutie - I can't believe we're related! lol Between you and me, Miss Paige, I think my brother is secretly plotting to match-up one of my boys with her at a later date! Argh! hahahaha (just kidding!)


The next one is Seb & JD's school pics from last year, but I don't think these really do their handsome features justice! (So, I'm totally biased, alright?! hahahaa)


And the last one was taken at the boys' mum's wedding a few months' ago. Don't they all look soooo grown up?!? The bloke in the right picture is my one and only brother and his wife. We're 'chalk and cheese' - he's dark and olive skinned with brown eyes, and I'm light and fair and blue eyed! You'd never know we had the same parents, to look at us together! But I love him all the same.


Sorry 'bout the poor quality... they're scans of photocopies of originals... I haven't got my original copies for Xmas yet... but that's another story!

My housemate got away on her holiday alright, I assume. She left this morning, complete with back-pack over her shoulder, to catch the train to the airport. She's mid-air on the way to Tokyo as I speak. She looked so funny walking down the driveway... "Well, I'm off to Ireland! See ya!" It's gonna be a whole lot quieter while she's away... but that's fine too.
Cyalayta
Mallard d'Quackers
mal [at] maljam [dot] cjb [dot] net
Message Board

4 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Really glad you had such a wonderful day. Your boys sound like great company - and I reckon they get it from their dad!

January 16, 2005 3:37 am  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

Isn't it great to spend actual time on the kids. We are think of signing up the kids and my husband for bowling. A family team. I would do it but i never know when i work on Sundays. But those days that i don't work during the day i will watch. Plus it is better that i don't because i suffer with severe tennis elbow :( . We took the kids to a Monster truck show last night and they were in their glory, meeting the drivers and seeing the trucks up close. See ya later Mal!

January 17, 2005 4:19 pm  
Blogger 3rd daughter said...

sounds like you had a great day with your boys. good to hear that the black dog stayed away. i love days like that. the weather sure is weird. i'm wearing long sleeves tonight!! have a great week mal.

January 17, 2005 10:28 pm  
Blogger Mallard said...

Thank you, ladies. I've had an excellent week so far... I'll let you know in a great long newsy post in an hour or two! D'oh! Cyalayta, mal :o)

January 18, 2005 8:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home