Wednesday, March 23, 2005

(*) Update on my mum

I had to come home - I've managed to pick up a nasty head-cold... I'm sure that's the last thing mum needs right now! I came home Sunday arvo, after staying in Penrith/Springwood since Thursday. Basically, mum is in hospital to stay. Her kidneys and heart are not working properly - they aren't getting rid of her own fluids effectively - and there's nothing they can do to fix it. She's comfortable, which is good, and she's responded well to the treatment. She was stuck in Emergency for 3 days - a bed wasn't available for her! (And the Govt says there's nothing wrong with our health system!!!) Luckily an ambulance forced her hand to get her stubborn butt into hospital on Wednesday, otherwise she would have died alone at home - drowning in her own fluids - not a pleasant prospect, as you could imagine! She's fully alert and aware of what's happening to her - she asked me to co-sign her 'do not resuscitate' form, which was pretty heavy, but that's what she wants - we all agreed. She just doesn't want to drag on and on and on like this, so we have to just wait and see how things keep progressing. I spoke with her this arvo, and although she's obviously pretty damn sick, she's going quite well, considering.

I'm emotionally very well. Being with my brother keeps things steady for me - we can all laugh aside the nerves pretty easily, which eases things for all of us.

I spoke with JD yesterday - he sounded as happy as I'd ever heard him! Their move to their new place went well, and they're still excited exploring all the ins and outs of 30 acres! The school bus picks them up right at their front gate at 7.50am - that's an early start, but JD's usually up at 5.30 to see his stepdad before he goes off to the farm to work for the day. Sheesh - you won't see me awake and functioning at 5.30 in the morning these days! lol.

That's all for now - fuzzy head and fuzzy brain needs some sleepies. Oh yeah - that big toenail is still there! lol.

On This 22nd Day of March...
Born: Confucius 571 BC; Keith Relf (Yardbird, 1943); Harry Vanda (Easybeat, 194?); Andrew Lloyd Webber (songster, 1948); Chico Marx (Marx Bros, 1887).
Events: The Beatles release their 'Please Please Me' LP in 1963.
Useless Trivia: 'Condor' station in Bolivia is the world's highest railway station at 4,786 m (15,705 ft).
My Soundtrack: Elton John "Songs From the West Coast"
Weather: light rain, mid to high teens, light breeze.
There was a strange creature named Marks
Whose idea of diversions and larks
Was stirring up tramps
Disturbing boys' camps
And defacing nude statues in parks.

Cyalayta
mdq
Email: mal [@] maljam [.] cjb [.] net
Message Board: http://malboard.cjb.net

"Excuse me, which way is the stage?" (Audience member, lost at Altamont, 1969.)

5 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm impressed that although your mum is in hospital to stay and you have a head cold, you can write such a positive, accepting post. Best wishes for the days and weeks ahead.

March 23, 2005 2:41 am  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I've still got my thoughts and prayers with ya. You take care of that nasty cold.

March 23, 2005 4:47 am  
Blogger D said...

Ditto the above: you sound really strong about this, Mal. I hope your cold disappears soon so you can spend more time with your mum. Best wishes to you and yours.

March 23, 2005 11:58 pm  
Blogger Mallard said...

Thank you, ladies, very muchly. The cold's still hanging about, bugger it!
Cyalayta
Mal :o)

March 24, 2005 12:49 am  
Blogger broomhilda said...

If I lived closer Mal, I'd bring you some tea and soup for your cold. Since I don't I'll just send you a {{{{{{{hug}}}}}}}.

March 24, 2005 2:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home