Wednesday, February 02, 2005

(*) Falling rain falling

Hiya Blog Paige. This is another one of those multi-part blog posts with a bit of everything in it... that's just the way I've been writing them lately.

I took the boys to the pool on Saturday for a few hours... can you believe it, but at 11 1/2 years' of age, JD's feet are the same size as mine already?!? Argh! lol There were literally hundreds of people there - an Area Swimming Carnival had the main pool closed, but we larked about in the 2 other smaller pools. JD was flirting without even realising it - with a 13-yo girl! Very very cute to watch. As I write, the boys' smiling faces shine across at me from the new photo frame I have with them sitting right next to my monitor (oh, you know what I mean! D'oh!) Hello, guys! I have 4 Euro coins to give them - courtesy of my flatmate's recent trip to Ireland. The 1 and 5-cent coins look similar to what ours used to be, but even I hadn't seen any Euro currency firsthand before... ooooh, aint I a yokel? lol.

I had a job interview on Monday arvo, as a assistant manager of a small local supermarket... alas and alack, I was their second choice this time... that kinda seems to happen to me a lot, I think...

I found a great framed large colour photo for only $16 of a Greek island not far from Hydra! It's hanging right outside my bedroom door, so I can enjoy it everytime I go out from here... like something to dream for... This pic I found the other night looks very similar to my new picture - except this one IS of Hydra! Oohhh... I'll get there one day... check out these latest pics I've discovered...

I had lunch with a bloke with whom I connect in a very special way. RE and I are both 'wired' (not 'weird'!) almost the same way, and altho we don't catch up as often as we'd both like, when we do it's like we just pick up from where we left off without any difficulty. We come from similar backgrounds, have similar mental health issues, and similar spiritual disillusionment as well (if that makes sense... probably doesn't... oh well...). We had the most amazing tender steak over lunch... oooh... Anyway, five blokes are meeting every Tuesday night for the next six weeks to get together to supposedly go thru a small study guide called the '40 Days of Purpose', but for all of us it's mainly just to hang out and talk and share some of life's bigger issues in a relaxed, confidential environment - as blokes. It sounds heavier than it really is, but even from tonights' first get-together, we've managed to get off to a good start. This is the first 'christian'-type small group I'll have been to in over 3 years... small groups were my 'speciality' (in a sense) in my church-days, so it's a bit weird doing this again. But, it's just a group of guys talking about things, not a big Bible-bash. If it was that - I just wouldn't go, easy as that.

When was the last time you just stood in the rain? No, I'm serious. Just took the time to stand in the rain - and enjoy it? I must have been a kid myself... earlier tonight I took a step outside my back door for a breath of air, appreciating the pouring rain cascading from the night sky around me. It was late, no-one else was around... so I did something I haven't done in probably 30 years... I stood outside in the pouring rain for like 30 minutes! Wet - I was drenched! Did I care? Not one bloody bit! It was the closest thing I've had to a 'spiritual' experience for over three years... but it wasn't spiritual... all 5 senses got a workout at the same time... the sound of the rain splatting against my shoulders... the cold bitter-sweet taste on my tongue.. the sight of the darkness falling as shimmering drops of crystal... the sensation of the fresh clean pure water dripping off the end of my nose and even running down my leg... the smell of fresh clean air and wet grass around my feet... it really was beautiful in a simply profound way.

Seriously - when was the last time you stood in the rain? Just because you're not a kid anymore doesn't mean you can't do kids' stuff anymore. In fact - I think I appreciated it more as an adult. I felt the closest to my dad than I have in a long time. Can't describe it all... but a unique experience. Madness? Possibly. But, if this is insanity - insanity is fun! lol


The Third Daughter wins the "Louie the Fly" Song Contest!
"i'm louie the fly, i'm louie the fly.
straight from rubbish tip to you.
spreading disease with the greatest of ease.
straight from rubbish tip to you.
i'm bad, i'm mean, i'm mighty unclean.
afraid of no-one!
except the man with the can of mortein.
hate that word, mortein.
mumble, mumble, i forget
ooooh! eeee!!... "
Congratulations! You've won a possibly fly-free minute during the next solar eclipse of Jupiter! Whoo hoo!

Here's another challenge for my non-Aussie fellow bloggers... what does the expression "to scoff something down" mean?

And a random thought from around Xmas time that I'd forgotten about completely... or so I thought... one warm late summer evening, just before going to bed for the night, I took a slow amble down our long driveway to get some cooler fresh air before facing a tossing-turning airless hot night. Straight across the other side of the road from the end of the driveway stands a nice small cottage, its front door facing directly up our drive. As I got further down the drive, I was slowly aware of someone leaning against the wooden door frame of that cottage directly across from me, obviously doing the same thing as me - just getting some fresh air. However, as I got to the end of the drive, and the streetlights made my presence known to the other person, I was suddenly acutely aware that the figure in that doorway was of a stark naked man! He immediately fled down his hallway, still in plain view... poor bugger... I laffed myself silly, and I'm sure he nearly died of embarrassment! Not the sort of thing you expect to see late at night! hahahaa!

weebl
And - some more vital information for discovering full satisfaction in your life... Weebl & bob have an update...

On This Day (1st February)...
Born: Don Everly (singer, 1937); Clark Gable (actor, 1901); Terry Jones (Python, 1942); Lisa Marie Presley 1968.
Died: Buster Keaton (comedian, 1966).
Events: The Beatles "I Want To Hold Your Hand" reaches US #1 in 1964.
Useless Trivia: Zaro Agha died at the alleged age of 164 on June 29 1934 in Istanbul.
My Soundtrack:
the falling rain
Footwear: bare butt nekkid - yet again! My feet must be practising nudists!
Weather: 37c, hot and sunny, but now c.18c and raining - beautiful.

There was a young lady of Crete
Who was so exceedingly neat
When she got out of bed
She stood on her head
To make sure of not soiling her feet.

Cyalayta
Mal (ie. Mallard d'Quackers) :o)
Email: mal [@] maljam [.] cjb [.] net
Message Board: http://malboard.cjb.net

"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of the oncoming train." (Robert Lowell)
"Excuse me, which way is the stage?" (Audience member, lost at Altamont, 1969.)
"For He's a Jolly Good Fellow!" (Outtake ending, 'Dr Strangelove' 1963)
"Phew!." (Eric Clapton)

6 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I loved your description of standing in the rain. I danced in summer rain, in the city, many years ago - that was fun - but next time it rains here (when it's warm) I'm off out to stand in it (wouldn't be fun now, it's only a few degrees above zero). If that's insanity I want to join in!

February 02, 2005 4:59 am  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

I've gone out in the rain during the summer with the kids.

Scoff something down? hmmmm does it mean to eat real fast?

February 02, 2005 5:49 pm  
Blogger Mallard said...

Well done, Caroline! Somebody said yesterday I still had time to 'scoff something down' before I came around to their place. Yuppers - eating something quickly. It's a great Aussie expression - do they say that sorts stuff O/S too?
Crazy weather here - right now it's 8c and been positively raining for like 24 hours! Lovely rain. Too cold to go dance in the rain tonight! hahahaa.
Cyalayta
Mal :o)

February 02, 2005 10:55 pm  
Blogger Monica said...

Stand in the rain! Ah, how I wish. I barely have time to go to the bathroom by myself these days. he he he I'm assuming its warm there now? Because its colder then you know what here. If we stood out in the rain, we'd catch our death of a cold here in NC. But standing out in the rain sounds like fun. Good for you. Its nice to bring back childhood memories sometimes.

Btw, loved the pics of your boys. That's the first time I have ever seen them. My how handsome! You'll be putting those boys on a leash here in a few years, you know!

Monica

http://www.piecesofus.blogspot.com

February 03, 2005 7:44 am  
Blogger ♥Caroline♥ said...

Yeah!!! I'm right...lol....

Here in Michigan...We would say "Scarf something down".

little difference but still means the same.

take care Mal...hope you have the best weekend

February 04, 2005 6:42 pm  
Blogger 3rd daughter said...

ooohh!! i won something!! thanks!!

i have not stood in the rain for years. i'm waiting for another downfall now!!

February 04, 2005 9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home