Saturday, February 19, 2005

(*) Dribs and drabs

Hiya Blog Paige. How are you going, sitting here in cyberspace someplace that I have no idea where...? All I know is that you keep some sort-of strange hold of some of my thoughts and observations on life, the universe, everything and a banana in html code revealed to the world via your blogdom! Ack! Time to take my medication... [just kidding...]

Well, after one shift of 6 hours, the big boss asked me not to come back! I was under the impression that the position at the out-of-town servo was mainly shopkeeping with a little cooking. No. In reality it turned out to be 95% cooking take-a-way food and a tiny bit of till-work! Sure, I admit that I wasn't going too well trying to cook 10 different things at once, but it made me laugh how she put it. After one day - one day at a new job, mind you - she told me that she thought I "wasn't getting it yet" - cooking the way she liked, that is. Mind you, my 'training' consisted of... "off you go...!" Three different people showed me three different ways to do the same thing - that was confusing enough as it was! But - I'm laughing about it now. I DID have a cry on the way home (it was a 20-minute/25km drive each way), but they run a very bizarre place out there. To be told after one day of supposed 'training' that I "hadn't picked it up yet" - after spending the last two years at Uni training to be a workplace trainer - is absolutely laughable! Yes, it's really quite funny. Yes, I am quite devastated that the hoped-for $$ aint there now - I was planning to finally be able to pay the boys' school fees in full at last (rather than the pittance I'm able to manage at the moment, sadly). But - life goes on... in colliding circles... I'm feeling a lot better about it now, so don't panic, Miss Paige. Things'll work out somehow... if anything of the last 3 1/2 years of my nightmarish life can testify, things do seem to pan out somehow eventually. Blah blah blah.

On the good side of all this... at least I can spend my Sunday with my son JD - I thought I'd be working Sunday! Whoo hoo. They're holding a "Lap of Honour" walk around Mt Panorama on Sunday morning, with all proceeds going to help the Tsunami victims. Some people are going to try to run the whole lap (it's about 6 1/2 km's, with some pretty damn steep sections of track - if you've ever driven around 'The Mount", you'll know what I mean!), but the majority are just there for a casual stroll - that covers JD and myself, naturally! And the BBQ at the end - can't have an Aussie community day without the traditional BBQ at the end now, can we?! lol. Looking forward to it. JD's 11 1/2 now, and he's about 6 inches shorter than I am (and I'm 5' 10'"!) - he's a fit looking young man. But I'm sure the steep sections of the Cutting and Reid Park will test not just us.

Here's 'The Mount' seen from the air...


I found another 2 cheap Tom Sharpe books 2nd-hand last week too - 'Riotous Assembly' and 'Porterhouse Blue'. Only 5 to go until I have them all... I stumbled across his very funny and satirical 'The Wilt Alternative' when spending some time 'by the seaside' during my 3 1/2 months at the MRC in 1985, and loved his sense of wicked humour. Soon after, I found a few others of his stuff, and slowly, in dribs and drabs over the years, I've been picking up the occasional book of his that I haven't got yet as I stumble across them in 2nd-hand bookshops. (omg - that was a terrible sentence!!! Ack! lol)

The NRL is starting up again... this arvo right here in town two of the major Rugby League teams are playing a trial game - Newcastle Knights Vs Penrith Panthers. Needless to say, the game is a sellout - which is brilliant for the local league people... it'll help push their advantage to have more NRL games played out here in the future - hopefully. Not that I'll be going this arvo to... I didn't get a ticket, because I thought I'd be working! D'oh! Anyway... they're 'not my team' - now, if Manly was playing, however... hahahaa.

I missed the 20-20 cricket match between Australia and New Zealand the other night - I was too tired to get out to the RSL and watch it on the large-screen pay-TV! But the highlights package I saw the next day looked amazing - so many sixes! And McGarth (sic) getting red-carded by Billy for attempting that underarm ball... pmsl!!! "A good time was had by all!" Looking forward to watching the one-dayer this arvo over in NZ.

On another note - anyone know a good remedy to stop eczema? The patch on the left-side of my face/neck has gone nuts again on me over the last 2 days... dammit!

On This Day...
Born: Lee Marvin (actor, 1924); Smokey Robinson (singer, 1940); Jeff Daniels (actor, 1955).
Useless Trivia: "Doubt is the key to knowledge" (Persian proverb).
My Soundtrack:
"Magical Mystery Tour" & "Abbey Road" - The Beatles; "Timepieces" - Eric Clapton.
Footwear: bare butt nekkid - still! My feet enjoy a nudist lifestyle!
Weather: warm, sunny, gentle NE breeze, about 27c.

There was a young lady from Spain
Who was dreadfully sick on the train
Not once - but again
And again and again
And again and again and again...


Cyalayta
Mal (ie. Mallard d'Quackers)

Email: mal [@] maljam [.] cjb [.] net
Message Board: http://malboard.cjb.net

"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of the oncoming train." (Robert Lowell)
"Excuse me, which way is the stage?" (Audience member, lost at Altamont, 1969.)
"For He's a Jolly Good Fellow!" (Outtake ending, 'Dr Strangelove' 1963)
"Phew!." (Eric Clapton)

5 Comments:

Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Hi Mal, so sorry to hear about your job but sounds like you're better off out of there. Something else will come along. I don't have any good suggestions about the eczema - I get it over my eyes and on my scalp at times - but you definitely have my sympathy for what that's worth! Have a great day with JD tomorrow.

February 19, 2005 6:03 pm  
Blogger D said...

Echoing Zinnia, the no-go job might (in the end) have done you a favour. I used to work in a cafe, and - no offence to others working in cafes who actually like it - it's shit work if you don't like the place or the people. You're better off out of there, though in the short term it'll seem like a tragedy. Best wishes. Keep your chin up.

February 19, 2005 10:59 pm  
Blogger broomhilda said...

Sorry to hear about the job, sounds like it sucked anyway. something better will come along, keep your chin up.

February 20, 2005 6:01 am  
Blogger 3rd daughter said...

mal, that is soooo sad about your job situation. i hope something good turns up soon.

less stress is good for excema so just relax :)

February 20, 2005 11:14 pm  
Blogger Mallard said...

Thanx for your thoughts, ladies - they're very muchly appreciated. I know I am stressed, but being on anti-d's just pushes the 'feelings' of stress away, so I don't 'feel' stressed - which is really weird. I've been stressed for the past 3+ years since I was first seperated, so I guessed it's gotta come out somehow. Believe me - I do relax - I've been so relaxed lately I've out on about an extra 5kgs! pmsl! I'm just getting older and slowly wearing out already.
Cyalayta
Mal :)

February 21, 2005 8:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home