Friday, November 26, 2004

(*) Long distance invisible friends

An old online friend of mine from Istanbul, Turkey, sent me a lovely picture of herself and her young son together. Awww - thank you Ecka! I met her (along with a whole swag of other people from across the globe) in an old MSN Chatroom, about three years ago now. While I no longer can be bothered with the whole 'chatroom' thing anymore, we keep in touch fairly regularly via email and IM (whenever I'm on it long enough!), and we've shared lots of laffs and tears over the years together. It's nice to have a long-distance 'invisible friend' like that still, after all this time. We've compared notes about the ups-and-downs of raising sons too - that's been refreshing. English isn't her primary language, so some of her howlers have been from pure misunderstanding what we've been talking about - it's been a continuing fun experience having a Turkish friend!

I finished making and preparing Ix's birthday prezzies this evening. One of the thoughts is an acrostic (using the letters of his name) and using suitable words that nicely define his character. I've printed it up nicely on good paper and will frame it - a great simple yet effective prezzie for him to keep. I did the same 'Words of Affirmation' for Seb for his birthday the other week too. I thought it was a nice touch. Sure, they may be a bit young to fully appreciate it right now, but in years to come they'll look back at it and think... kewl!

I also put in to have Ix's 'Birthday Call' over our local radio station on the morning of his birthday too - Seb said it was a spin to hear his name on the radio the other week, when it was his turn! I'm looking forward to Tuesday... six years already? NO WAY! hahahaa.

I stumbled across a very bizarre and quirky 'Mature Audience' animated cartoon show on SBS at 10pm last night (Thursday), called "Happy Tree Friends and Friends." It's like a grown-ups version of 'Itchy and Scratchy', along with classic moments like 'Bird Man'. I dunno how... I can't describe it... here's a link for this loopy weirdness! Good old SBS - the station that brings you other assorted bizarre loopyness like South Park, Velvet Soup, Pizza, etc etc.

On This Day...
Born: Tina Turner (singer, 1938); Olivia Newton John (singer); John McVie (Fleetwood Mac, 1945).
Died: Tommy Dorsey (big band leader, 1956).
Events: Cream play their final gig, London 1969.
Useless Trivia: At age 88, Pablo Casals was still giving cello concerts.
My Soundtrack:
'Rattle and Hum' U2 (1988).
Weather: Glorious Spring day, mid-20's, cloudless, light NE air.

Cyalayta
Mal (ie. Mallard d'Quackers) :o)
Email: mal [@] maljam [.] cjb [.] net

"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, it's the light of the oncoming train." (Robert Lowell)
"Excuse me, which way is the stage?" (Audience member, lost at Altamont, 1969.)
"The Lord survives the rainbow of His will." (Robert Lowell)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have met many people via the net, I have lost contact with so many. I think it is fantastic that you still keep in touch.
I think your pressies were absolutely wonderul. What an amazing jesture. I am sure they will appreciate it as they get older.
Keep Smiling, Ruby

November 26, 2004 10:09 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home